Monday, July 18, 2011

Here we go..

Drew freaked out the other day.

Drew -"I don't want to find a new mommy when I grow up"

Me -"Huh???"  I was driving at the time and this statement came out of nowhere.

Drew -"I don't want to have kids, cause when I do, I'll have to have a new mommy"

Me - "Oh hunny, you'll never have to find a new mommy.  When you grow up, you'll have a wife and if you have kids, she'll be their mommy, but I'll always be YOUR mommy".

Drew -"promise?"

Me - "yes, I promise"

Drew - "OK"

We were at Costco a few days later, and Drew asks me...

Drew - "mommy, are all girls mommies?"

Me - "Well, all girls could be mommies, but some aren't.

Drew - "Why aren't they mommies?"

Me- "There are a lot of reasons hunny.  Some don't want to be mommies, some can't be mommies, some aren't old enough to be mommies, some haven't found the right daddy"

Drew - "Why wouldn't they want to be a mommy?"

Me - "Maybe they want some quiet in their lives"  Immediate back-track...."but other than that, I don't know, being a mommy is the best job in the world"  (As Hunter is screaming because they just took him, in the cart, to the other side of the cash, and now I have to pay).

Drew - Drops subject to go and comfort Hunter.

Fast forward to yesterday.  Drew asks James (again, out of the blue)

Drew -"Daddy, can boys marry boys and girls marry girls?"

James - sputtering a bit, I'm sure.  "Uh, ya, that can happen.

Drew - "But usually, a boy marries a girl, right?"

James - "ya, I guess so, it really depends on the person"

Drew - "So, if two girls get married, does that mean they'll have more kids??"

James - "No buddy, you need a boy and a girl to make a baby"

Drew - "OK"

James - sigh of relief that the conversation didn't go any further.

I feel we're on the brink of some hard questions!

No comments:

Post a Comment