Monday, August 1, 2011

Re-Do

If only life had some sort of button you could press to allow you to go back to those moments you cringe about, enabling you to try again, to do a bit better.....I could have used one of those today.

The day started out on an ok note.  I woke up with the boys, a little bit bitter that James was sleeping in, as he had the whole weekend to sleep in, but he did have to go to work....so I got over it.  We had breakfast and then the boys and I went to Rotary park where we met some momstown moms for some playtime in the park.

Both boys seemed to have an ok time.  Drew seemed a bit bored as there weren't any kids his age there, but one of the other moms had brought Timbits and yet another mom brought graham crackers so Drew was excited to make a make-shift "smore" (a timbit surrounded by graham crackers - he said it was delicious).


Drew and his S'More creation.

 I should have guessed the day was going to go south at lunch.  We went for a short hike around the mill pond and then got in the van to go home.  Drew asked to go to the "Ivy Army" for lunch and I agreed.  When we got there, Hunter refused to get out of the van....literally would not budge-was very cranky and not in a "restaurant mood".  I chose to NOT bring a screaming child into the restaurant, thereby forcing me to put another screaming child (Drew) into the van - you just can't make everyone happy (apparently).

We got home, we had lunch and Hunter had a nap.  Drew and I went outside to work on our gardens and then retreated to the air conditioning of our play room......

Once H woke up, we baked cookies, played perfection and the play-doh game we have, played some more in the play room and then had an early dinner (sandwiches and cut vegetables - REALLY need to go grocery shopping).
Today was the first day that the boys have sampled cookie dough....a major milestone in my books!
 After dinner we went to play outside again.  This is when the trouble began.  Drew started acting up, took the hose from me and started spraying H and I.....it turned into this huge, horrible game, with me yelling too loud, Hunter crying and Drew just NOT listening.  It is so frustrating to not be listened to and I am SO being paid back for not listening to my parents when I was a kid.  He was put in time-out, got up from time-out (laughing), put back in, etc, etc.  I'm sure my neighbours had quite a show.  We took ourselves inside.

The rest of the evening is a bit of a blur.  The boys had a bath, which then resulted in them running around the house naked....Drew egging Hunter on (which drives me crazy).  Eventually, I ended up on the deck, by myself, taking a few deep breaths.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only parent who has days like this.

Once I calmed down, I made them popcorn and we watched a "movie" (we started out watching "a bugs life" but it was too scary so ended up just watching tree house).
popcorn, TV and underpants.
Bedtime went smoothly, both of them were tired and here we are now.

Let's hope for a better day tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment