Monday, August 1, 2011

Our weekend without Daddy


Today was the beginning of  James' mini-vacation.  Lucas came this morning to pick him up and take him to the airport.  They are going to Philly for Ryan's bachelor party.

He brought Hunter's birthday gift with him.


Thanks Uncle Luc!


The card sings the superman song...it is a big hit!
Hunter says thank you to Uncle Luc and Aunt Erin for his birthday gift!

I have to say that I wasn't the nicest to my husband as he left this morning.  I was a bitter, bitter woman.  I was doing ok with this whole bachelor party craziness up until last night.

It's "that" time of the month...perhaps not the best time for James to spend a fortune to go spend the weekend with other grown men and try and relive their university days.

Once James and Luc left and I had my little pity party, the boys and I headed to Skedaddles for the morning.  We were supposed to go to a pool party, but because of my period, I had to skip out....boo.



While James is gone, my parents invited us to stay at their place.  The boys were thrilled.

Friday night, when we got there, we headed out on the gator to the creek and then hiked the cattle paths along the water.  The boys were so excited to collect all the "treasures" that they found (rocks, feathers, pine cones, etc).  It was really fun.  I forgot my camera and am super mad at myself!

Once back at the house, we had dinner and then some more outside play before bed.





I wasn't sure how bedtime would go, we hadn't stayed at Nana and Papa's since Christmas.  I think all of the hiking and playing outside really tuckered them out...bedtime went very smoothly and Drew slept until 7am and Hunter until 7:30!  Success!!

Saturday morning we watered the flowers and then did some more playing outside.
OOPS!
 It was super hot and I'm not sure why, but I had the bright idea to walk to the park.  Both boys were very sweaty and a little cranky by the time we got there.



My dad, always the thinker, drove down in the van a little bit later, so that we wouldn't have to walk back home (it's all up-hill from the park back to their house).  We were very glad to see him.

After we had some lunch, I took the boys back home.  Hunter fell asleep on the way home (always nice when a plan works).  Drew and I picked some tomatoes, watered our plants, checked on our cattle, fed Snickers and our outdoor cats and then just hung out.

Hunter slept for about 2 hours and then we all loaded up the van and headed back to Nana and Papa's for the evening.

Playing with Drew's bounce-back racer




After dinner we roasted some marshmallows.



It was another great night and another smooth bedtime, although it took a little longer for them to fall asleep as it was really hot in our bedroom.

Sunday morning was another busy one.  The usual breakfast/watering flowers/ride-on toys routine was followed.



The boys then decided they wanted to go in the gator for another adventure.  This time we took a blanket back to have a snack on the "bridge" and I remembered my camera.  It was fun, but we hiked a lot farther than we did on Friday and Hunter had had enough by the time we reached the gator.



snack on the "bridge"

Cute little bum peeing under a tree.

Big brother peed under the tree, so I have to too.

Collecting pine cones.

Picking wild blackberries.

Not much water in the creek!
Once back at the house, we had some lunch and then some more playtime.  We drove home around 1pm and Hunter thankfully fell asleep.

Hunter slept for quite a while.  I think the hike tired him out.  Drew and I hung out, we watched some TV, did a craft that mister maker showed us and played with some blocks.

Once Hunter woke up, I was planning on going outside, but it was way too hot.  We played inside instead and I thought my head was going to explode!  The boys had way too much energy.

Dinner was simple, bbq burgers and vegetables.  We made our way outside after dinner, heading to the van.  I was planning on taking the boys to the Marble Slab for ice cream and then to the park that is across the road.

We had a huge surprise though, James and Luc pulled into the driveway, just as we were getting into our van!  They had caught an earlier flight (they weren't supposed to land until 9pm).  We were THRILLED.  James came with us to get ice cream and to play in the park.  It was so much better that way.


My plan was foiled, however.  I was planning on cleaning the house and doing the dishes once the boys were asleep.  James coming home early allowed him to see the state of the house and my plan to paint myself as the perfect mother/house wife was ruined.

Oh well, I'm pretty sure he knew the truth anyways.

Happy Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment